In this tutorial I am gonna show how to install Kali Linux 2.0 in Virtualbox. This Tutorial is an step by step guide for an new Virtualbox user. Ok at first I want to brief a little bit about of Kali Linux. Kali is most popular Linux Distro for an Hacker or Security researcher even an organization. Previously Kali was Backtrack and founded by Offensive Security. Now Kali has more than 600 tool for penetration testing, Forensics testing and Reverse Engineering. So if you install Kali Linux in Your computer, then you will able to research website pentest, network pentest, reverse engineering etc.
Last year Offensive Security released New version of Kali called Kali Sana V2.0 .So today our main topic is How to install kali Linux in windows by Oracle VirtualBox. My upcoming tutorial is How to install Kali Linux on your computer by Dual boot.
How to Install Kali Linux in Windows by VirtualBox
1. Ok lets start to Download an install Kali Sana V2.0 . from bellow link (These images have a default password of “toor” and may have pre-generated SSH host keys).
2.Download Oracle Virtualbox Software from hare and install it.
4. Choose Virtual Machine Memory (RAM) at least 512 MB for i3 86 and AMD 64 bit architecture.
5. Select “Create a Virtual hard drive now” radio button, see the bellow image.
6. Select “VDI (virtualBox Disk Image)” to your Hard drive file type by radio button, as like bellow image.
7. Allocate physical hard drive as Dynamically, see the image bellow.
8. Put a name for your Virtual drive as Kali Linux or something else. Select Hard Drive space minimum 10 GB, see the image bellow .
9. Now click Setting menu of Virtual Machine navigate System setting section then select Processor tab. Tick “Enable PAE/NX” option and click ok to get Extended Features (needed). You can select CPU processor core for your VM (optional), see the image bellow.
10. Now its time to start Your Virtual machine, then you have been got a popup. Browse and select your Downloaded Kali Linux VirtualBox ISO file and click Start.
11. Oh! hare is your starting point of Kali Linux main installation part, select “install” and enter.
12. Select your Language as your choice.
13. Select your Country or rasidense.
14. Select Country to base default locale settings as United states or what you choose.
15. Configure your keyboard setting as American English or as you like best.
16. Now wait few minute to loading additional components.
17. Type a Hostname “Kali” or Anything else to configure the network, see the image bellow.
18. Domain name part is optional, so you can blank it and press continue.
19. Setup your Root user password.
20. Input your password again to verify.
21. Select Partitioning method as “Guided – use entire disk” .
22. Select disk to partition: as SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) – xx.xx GB ATA VBOX HARDDISK .
23. Select Partitioning scheme as like bellow image.
24. Select “Finish partitioning and write change to disk” .
25. It takes few minute to Configuring apt, don’t <Cancel> .
26. Install the GRUB boot loader on hard disk by select <Yes> .
27. Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk by selecting your hard disk location. Please follow the bellow image.
28. Select Continue to Finish the installation .
29. 😀 Finally you are hare, it’s Kali Linux Login Interface. So why you waiting, log in to your Linux machine as “root” user by your password.
30. Now you are one step away form Linux guest addition mode. Lets start guest addition by following my instruction.
Go to Oracle VM VirtualBox “Devices” dropdown menu and click “Insert Guest Additions CD image” menu or press Host + D button.
31. A popup window will come to run your VBoxAdditions, then click run.
32. Oops! you have been got an error look like under image? Don’t worry I am hare to help you. Just Click ok.
33. Open a command terminal and input some command as following under Image. The main thing is, we have to install a program called VBoxLinuxAdditions.run with read/write permission .
After this process, hope so your Kali Linux will be able to use for penetration test or forensic test. If you have any query of this guide, please feel free to comments hare.